Monday, December 11, 2006

This is scary...

Now, I am not 100% convinced that humans are the cause of global warming which puts me on the fringe of my party, however it is quite obvious to me that the science proves that there is such thing as global warming. The question in my mind is whether or not it is due to a natural warming phase of the Earth, human intervention or some combination of the two. I think it is clearly a combination of the two, but the next question is, how much of it is our fault? I am unconvinced that it is all our fault, and I think it may not even be largely our fault. However, I do agree with the majority of my party that we should act because, even if human contributions to global warming are minor, they are still contributions and we should try to curb them.

So, the moral of the story is, I am somewhat sympathetic to those who are skeptical about the politically correct interpretation of global warming. That is, that it is all our fault and we can stop it by cleaning up our act.

However, it is happening, whether we can stop it or not, and while we should clean up our act on the environmental side of the equation, bad stuff could and probably will happen as a result of the warming globe and it is incumbent upon us to prepare.

This is why I was a little bit scared to read the following mockery of global warming penned by the MP for Okanagan—Coquihalla in a local newspaper:


Hey who knows, maybe Al Gore is right.

Maybe all my constituents living high up on the West Bench, or Lakeview Heights, or the hills of Logan Lake will soon be sitting on lakeside property as one of the many benefits of global warming.

All I know is last weekend when I got home from Ottawa there was more snow in my driveway than we usually get in a year.

And I was begging for Big Al’s Glacial Melt when the mercury hit -24. Do not despair, my fellow dwellers of the Okanagan and Nicola Valleys.

If misery loves company then we had lots of it around our province. Matter of fact, at one point in the week some 22 towns and cities had broken all-time records for paralyzing frigid temperatures.

Rather than feeling badly for yourself, picture this. For every hour it’s that cold, millions of those nasty ravenous pine beetles who are destroying our forests are having their pesky little heads and jaws frozen, literally to death.

But brace yourself. We’d need about two weeks of that brain freeze weather to kill off all those burrowing bugs.

Are you up for it?
Just to remind you, the MP for Okanagan—Coquihalla is the Honourable Stockwell Day, who serves in the cabinet as minister for the Department of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness.

Very, very scary.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The problem is in calling it 'global warming'. It's properly climate change, and the over all change
(instability) means it's going to snow in odd places and warm up in others. There will always be people denying that they (we) are at fault. Happened in the
fishing sector. Happened with the buffalo. Happened with the passenger pigeons. We're a superior pile of pigs when it comes to not taking responsibility for your greasy imprint on our world.

scott said...

I am with you on this one as I believe there has been an inordinate amount of hysteria regarding this file.

You know it's bad when David Suzuki shows up [this past weekend] in Calgary with Olympians Thomas Grandi and Sara Renner to blame global warming for the cancellation of World Cup alpine and cross-country ski races across Europe. The are pledging to "to save the snow". *sigh*

What next, will Colts kicker Mike Vander Jagt blame his loss of employment [and missed field goals] on incressed warm winds due to global warming.

scott said...

Btw, if you haven't alread read it, take a look at this great article in the Telegraph regarding the very subject you raised in your post above.

nbpolitico said...

Thanks scott, glad to see science is finally catching up with me ;)

Truly though, I think 25% is probably a fairly accurate measure - I have always thought it could be no more than 50% and probably signficantly less.

Nonetheless, the fact remains that whether we are the cause or not, things are happening and we must plan to cope with them when they do.

The fact that our Emergency Preparedness Minister is mocking the problem is cause for worry, don't you agree?