Political watchers here in NB had a pretty fun ride in 2006 - a federal election, a new federal government, drama at the legislature, a provincial election, a new provincial government, an exciting mid-term election in the U.S., a federal Liberal leadership race, an unexpected come-from-behind victory for Stéphane Dion, the resignation of Bernard Lord, etc... we still are yet to see who the interim PC leader will be which apparently is coming on Tuesday.
Well it doesn't look like 2007 will disappoint here are the highlights:
- Federal Liberals appoint key staff and a shadow cabinet
- A federal cabinet shuffle?
- 2008 U.S. presidential candidates start to formally emerge
- The New Brunswick legislature meets
- A federal budget
- NB NDP sets date and rules for their leadership race
- A by-election in Moncton East?
- A federal election?
- INCLUDING SENATE ELECTIONS???
- Shawn Graham / Victor Boudreau's first budget
- Democratic candidates meet for the first debate of the U.S. 2008 election campaign
- Republican candidates meet for their first debate for the 2008 U.S. election
- New Brunswick Tories to choose a new leader?
- New Brunswick New Democrats to choose a new leader?
- New Brunswick Green Party to be founded?
- NB Legislature returns for a fall session
- Ontario election (fixed date)
Other expected provincial elections
- Newfoundland election?
- PEI election?
- Quebec election?
- Manitoba election?
- Saskatchewan election?
- Alberta election?
Let me know if I am missing anything, I've already made some guesses for dates of somethings that might not be totally predictable, but it is clear that it will be a fun year.