My sincere congratulations to Mr. Alward and the Conservative campaign who exceeded that with 42 seats (pending at least one recount).
The Tories won all but 3 of the 15 ridings to watch, but also won 7 ridings that I had thought to be Liberal victories. Here is a map with the Tory wins that I didn't forsee highlighted. Of these, considering the big sweep, none are a major surprise. I'll single a few out for comment.
- Grand Falls-Drummond-Saint-André (+6)
- Campbellton-Restigouche Centre (+20) - I really missed the ball here as this race wasn't even close to close
- Miramichi Bay-Neguac (+5)
- Quispamsis (+16) - this is a bell-weather and I started to get buyers remorse this afternoon when I realized that, but a 16 point margin is quite something, especially when an opinion poll had given Schryer a 9 point victory just a few weeks ago
- Saint John East (+5) - this result was almost the exact same as 1999 - PC winning with less than 40% due to high NDP vote, I didn't expect the NDP to be able to score anywhere near the 24% they got here and the 28% they got in Saint John Harbour
- Saint John Harbour (9 votes) - this is the first ever PC victory in this riding and with a final result of 30.7-30.5-27.6, this was quite a nail-biter all night